Karan Acoustic’s range of high-end amplifiers from the former Yugoslavia is growing. The company still lacks a CD player, but there’s a DAC, a phono stage with a reputation to die for, several power amps (most opf which we’ve reviewed) and now a pair of pre-amps. The KA L Reference was first, a two-box masterwork; it’s recently been joined by the KA L, also a line-level design, but this time housed in a single box.
This single-box design saves a lot of money, but you’d never guess there was any cost saving by the look of the KA L. It retains the solid, almost monolithic look of all Karen products, with just a red glowing logo separating this pre-amp from utter blackness. Otherwise, it is just a reassuringly solid block of aluminium, complete with volume knob at one end, channel selector at the other. Balance – pah! Displays and indicators – you must be joking. You get a remote, what more do you need?
- Completely balanced, dual mono circuit topology with no overall feedback
- All stages are DC coupled and operate in true pure class A
- The preamp is remote controllable.
- Overall frequency response of line inputs is DC-300kHz, +0, -3dB.
- Intermodulation distortion is below 0.008%
- Contact : Dicky Ng 012-3308893
- Contact : John Yew 016-2861000
- Email : [email protected]